Humidex is an index that describes how hot or humid weather feels to the average person. It is only used when the temperature is over 30 degrees C. The humidex combines the temperature and humidity into one number. A humidex of 40 with a temperature of 30 degrees means that the humidex on that day, combined with the 30-degree temperatures will feel like 40 degrees on a dry day.
What to do when there is extreme heat:
- Slow down, your body can’t do its best in high temperatures
- Get out of the heat and into a cooler place as soon as you begin to feel too warm
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body from dehydrating.
- Maintain salt levels in your body. If you’re on a salt-free diet, check with your doctor.
- Avoid high protein foods. They increase your body’s water loss and heat production.
- Dress appropriately in lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Avoid getting sunburned, it restricts the body’s cooling system.
Environment Canada monitor the weather 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If a severe storm is on the way or severe weather, the weather service uses the local media and Environment Canada’s Weather radio to alert the public. They have two basic types of alerts:
A Weather Watch is provided when conditions are favorable for a severe storm to develop. These are usually issued early in the day. It is a good idea to pay attention to the weather and listen to the radio or TV for up-dated information.
A Weather Warning means that severe weather is happening or that severe weather conditions are very likely.
other activities in estevan
View our upcoming events calendar and find out whats happening in Estevan!
The City of Estevan Leisure Centre is the hub of activity in Estevan. Splash, sweat, sprint – everything that you need.
Home to the Estevan Bruins of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, the facility also hosts concerts, trade shows, and so much more!
Bigger in Real Life! Get a close look a the mining, and coal industry.
The City of Estevan is home to over a dozen parks! Each with its own unique offering!
Learn more about the various city programs such as Ice Schedules and Lesiure Centre Schedules!