If you carry out business within the City of Estevan boundaries, you are required to have a valid City of Estevan Business licence.
The primary purpose for the requirement of a Business License is to ensure that the City’s municipal land use regulations, building and fire codes, health regulations and all other relevant community safety requirements are adhered to by Businesses.
The statistical information obtained during the application process helps assist the Economic Development Officer with supporting Estevan’s business community.
Types of business that require licences
- Commercial and industrial business: A business based within a building located in a commercial or industrial area of the City of Estevan as defined in the Zoning and Development Bylaw
- Home-based business: A business based in a dwelling located in a residential area in the City of Estevan as defined in the Zoning and Development Bylaw . NOTE – a Home-base business will need to apply for a Home-based Business Application/Permit
- Out-of-town business: A business being carried on in the City of Estevan, but with the business office located outside of Estevan.
The business owner is required to get a business licence. In some cases, employees will need to get individual business licences
How to apply
You can apply for a business licence:
- In person at City Hall, 1102 Fourth Street,
- By mail, 1102 Fourth Street, Estevan, SK S4A 0W7
- By email, email@example.com
Do you need other approvals before you get your business licence?
You might require other approvals before your business licence is approved:
Depending on the zoning of your proposed business location, your business may or may not be permitted. Or your business may only be permitted after a Development Permit is obtained.
Before your business licence is issued, you may require other approvals from the Police, Fire, or Health Departments.
- Environmental Health: Any food-related businesses must have an inspection completed.
- Fire: Some business licence categories will require certificates from the Estevan Fire Rescue Services
- Police: If police approval is required, you will need to go directly to the Estevan Police Department.
Important: Your business and your location
Before you purchase or sign a lease for your business location, check with Land Development Services first to make sure that you will be able to conduct your type of business on those premises.
There are different requirements under the Zoning & Development Bylaw and the Building Bylaw for different uses. Each space in a building has its own specified approved use and sometimes the use of that space cannot be changed without an approval or a permit, or both.
Fees are dependent on business type. Please contact City Hall to find out more information.
If you apply for your licence in person, you can pay for your business licence by
- Cheque or money order (made payable to the City of Estevan)
- Debit card
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard)
If you do not apply in person, we will send you an invoice for the licence fee. Your business licence will be processed after we receive payment for the licence fees.
Home Based Business
Home-based businesses (including offices) are essentially commercial and/or business activities which are being conducted from within a principle residential dwelling or accessory building located in a residential zone.
Under the City of Estevan Zoning bylaw, residents are afforded an opportunity to use their principle place of residence for limited commercial business activities, in recognition of the need to provide or supplement personal or family income.
Home-based businesses may include an occupation, trade, profession, or craft, where all services are performed on the premises, or it may include an ‘office’ which is used to carry out the administrative or clerical duties of a business that performs it’s services off the residential premises. In either case, the City regulates such activities for two principle reasons;
- To ensure the activities are both compatible and incidental to the use of the building for residential purposes, and are not the type of activities that will undermine the integrity of the surrounding residential area or cause adverse impacts such as noise, parking congestion, unsightliness (due to outdoor storage), and/or increased utility demands (water, sewer, waste disposal).
- To ensure such activities do not adversely undermine the integrity of the City’s commercial sector by allowing such activities to unfairly compete with similar activities located in commercial districts
The City of Estevan Zoning bylaw sets forth a number of regulations that Home-based businesses are required to comply with and abide by. In general terms, if a proposed home-based business is unable to be conducted in accordance with the associated regulatory requirements, than the activity is considered unsuited as a home based business and should be located in a more appropriate commercial or industrial district. The regulatory provisions from the Zoning Bylaw are listed under the zoning bylaw.
How to apply
Any person wanting to conduct a home-based business must first complete a prescribed application form and submit the completed form to the
City of Estevan Land Development Services Business Division, City Hall
1102 Fourth Street
The application is reviewed to determine whether the proposed occupation will comply with the applicable regulatory requirements. If it is determined that the proposal will conform with the regulations, a Home-Occupation permit will be issued, subject to the applicant signing the permit to state that all applicable regulations will be adhered to. Upon issuance of a home-occupation permit, an applicant must submit the permit to the City Financial Services and obtain the necessary Business license.
Upon approving a home-based business application, the City may conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with the regulations. Subsequent inspections may be conducted in reaction to any complaints.
There are presently no fees associated with obtaining a home-occupation permit; however, an approved applicant must obtain a business license and pay the associated license fee to City Financial Services. An Applicant, who is denied a home occupation permit, may appeal the decision to the City of Estevan Development Appeals Board in accordance with the provisions of the Planning and Development Act.
Business Licence application forms
For commercial, industrial, home-based, and out-of-town businesses.
For home-based businesses. NOTE – Home-based Businesses must have the General Business Licence Application as well.
For home-based businesses.
In this Section
other activities in estevan
View our upcoming events calendar and find out whats happening in Estevan!
The City of Estevan Leisure Centre is the hub of activity in Estevan. Splash, sweat, sprint – everything that you need.
Home to the Estevan Bruins of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, the facility also hosts concerts, trade shows, and so much more!
Bigger in Real Life! Get a close look a the mining, and coal industry.
The City of Estevan is home to over a dozen parks! Each with its own unique offering!
Learn more about the various city programs such as Ice Schedules and Lesiure Centre Schedules!