After review of your assessment, if you feel an error has been made in your assessment or classification, you can appeal. An appeal form is enclosed with the assessment notice. You must file your appeal within 30 days of the mailing and/or advertising of the assessment notice. This can be done in person, or by regular or registered mail to: The Assessor, City of Estevan, 1102 Fourth Street, Estevan, SK, S4A 0W7.
The flowing steps are required to file an appeal:
- Contact SAMA
Obtain further information on your assessment & how these values were arrived at by contacting the Tax Assessor at City Hall at 306-634-1811, or call SAMA directly at 1-800-498-0575, or visit the www.sama.sk.ca
After discussing your assessment with the Tax Assessor and/or SAMA and you still believe there is an error you can file an appeal.
Please keep in mind
- Only your property assessment can be appealed, not taxes or mill rates. Appeals cannot be based on the fact that you feel your taxes are too high. The grounds for appeal must be detailed. It is your responsibility to make a case to the board of revision.
- An appeal against your assessment value does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or from late payment penalties. If an appeal is successful, an adjustment will be made to your account and the appeal fee will be refunded.
- Complete a Notice of Appeal
A notice of appeal is on the back side of your assessment notice or can be found online HERE or can be picked up at City Hall – 1102 4th Street
On the notice of appeal please ensure you:
- Identify the property under appeal including the roll number
- List the specific grounds for appeal including as much detail as possible
- Indicate the date & with whom you discussed your assessment with at SAMA
- Include your mailing address & contact information
- Sign & Date your form
Your Appeal must include the applicable appeal fees:
Assessment Appeal Fees
- Residential / Condominium / Agriculture per Parcel $50.00
- Multi-Family / Commercial per Parcel
- Assessment less than 500,000 – $150.00
- Assessment 500,001 to 1,000,000 – $500.00
- Assessment greater than 1,000,001 – $750.00
Appeal fees refunded when:
- The Board of Revision renders a decision that reduces the assessment of a parcel, a 100% refund of the appeal fee shall occur.
Appeal fees non-refundable when:
- The Local Board of Revision upholds the current assessment of a parcel, no appeal fee refund shall occur.
Submit your Appeal by the deadline.
- Your completed notice of appeal, along with applicable payment must be received by the Board on or before 4:00pm the day the roll closes. (30 days a non revaluation year and 60 days in a revaluation year)
- The appeal deadline will be located on your Assessment Notice.
- The notice and payment can be mailed to:
other activities in estevan
View our upcoming events calendar and find out whats happening in Estevan!
The City of Estevan Leisure Centre is the hub of activity in Estevan. Splash, sweat, sprint – everything that you need.
Home to the Estevan Bruins of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, the facility also hosts concerts, trade shows, and so much more!