The City of Estevan is located in the South East corner of Saskatchewan. The Souris River runs just south of the city within the RM of Estevan. With an ethnically diverse population, Estevan is characterized by steady growth. It is the eighth largest city in Saskatchewan and dominates in the coal, energy production and oil and gas sectors.
The first settlement of the area occurred in 1892, along with the expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was incorporated as a village in 1899 and later became a town in 1906. On March 1, 1957 Estevan acquired the City status.
The Arthur Kelly homesteaded the original town site. The railroad survey was made in 1892. The Soo Line was completed from Moose Jaw to North Portal in 1893 and a flurry of activity and a great deal of excitement went into the start of Estevan. Like many communities of Saskatchewan the settlement was a child of the railroad and the railroad gave it its name. Estevan is derived from a combination of the names of George Stephen, first president of the CPR and William C. van Horne, the company’s second president.