Background Color:
Background Pattern:

Get a Business Licence

If you want to carry on business in the City of Estevan, you need a business licence.

Types of businesses that require licences

  • Commercial and industrial business: A business based within a building located in a commercial or industrial area of the City of Estevan as defined in the Zoning and Development Bylaw
  • Home-based business: A business based in a dwelling located in a residential area in the City of Estvan as defined in the Zoning and Development Bylaw . NOTE - a Home-base business will need to apply for a Home-based Business Application/Permit 
  • Out-of-town business: A business being carried on in the City of Estevan, but with the business office located outside of Estevan.

The business owner is required to get a business licence. In some cases, employees will need to get individual business licences. 

How to apply

You can apply for a business licence:

  • In person at City Hall, 1102 Fourth Street,
  • By mail, 1102 Fourth Street, Estevan, SK S4A 0W7
  • By email,

Do you need other approvals before you get your business licence?

You might require other approvals before your business licence is approved:

Zoning approval

Depending on the zoning of your proposed business location, your business may or may not be permitted. Or your business may only be permitted after a Development Permit is obtained.

Licence approvals

Before your business licence is issued, you may require other approvals from the Police, Fire, or Health Departments.

  • Environmental Health: Any food-related businesses must have an inspection completed.
  • Fire: Some business licence categories will require certificates from the Estevan Fire Rescue Services
  • Police: If police approval is required, you will need to go directly to the Estevan Police Department.

Important: Your business and your location

Before you purchase or sign a lease for your business location, check with Land Development Services first to make sure that you will be able to conduct your type of business on those premises.

There are different requirements under the Zoning & Development Bylaw and the Building Bylaw for different uses. Each space in a building has its own specified approved use and sometimes the use of that space cannot be changed without an approval or a permit, or both.


Fees are dependent on business type. Please contact City Hall to find out more information.

Payment methods

If you apply for your licence in person, you can pay for your business licence by

  • Cash
  • Cheque or money order (made payable to the City of Estevan)
  • Debit card
  • Credit card (Visa, MasterCard)

If you do not apply in person, we will send you an invoice for the licence fee. Your business licence will be processed after we receive payment for the licence fees.

Business Licence application forms

General Business Licence application form (96 KB)

For commercial, industrial, home-based, and out-of-town businesses.

Home-based Business Application/Permit (416 KB)

For home-based businesses. NOTE - Home-based Businesses must have the General Business Licence Application as well.

Home-based Business Information Sheet (252 KB)

For home-based businesses.