Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Term: Permanent Full Time
Posted on: 27/04/2022,
Closing Date: 27/04/2022
Department: Corporate Services
Posting Number: 23/22
Position Title: Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: City Manager
Business Division: Corporate Services
Summary: Reporting to the City Manager, the Human Resources, Generalist is primarily responsible for administration of Human Resources policies, procedures, and programs including but not limited to; recruitment and orientation, training and development, labour relations, benefits and compensation, performance management, and organizational development.
- The design and distribution of human resources and labour relations related communication.
- Plans and implements projects in keeping with organizational principles to achieve outlined management objectives.
- Performs organizational job planning including creation and maintenance of job descriptions, job evaluations and classification, and comparative compensation evaluation.
- Responsible for the recruitment and selection of new staff utilizing a variety of methods to reach new potential candidates in the job market.
- Performs onboarding and orientation of new staff, or of staff that have made a significant internal movement.
- Performs the research, evaluation, development, and implementation of training and development programs requested by division managers and aligned with organizational goals.
- Consults with Managers on disciplinary and performance management matters.
- Consults with Managers on matters of employee/labour relations management by providing support and recommendations. This includes coordination and delivery of responses to varying stages of arbitration, grievances, or mediation.
- Responsible for conducting internal audits and investigations when required and assisting with audits and investigations conducted by third parties.
- Responsible for the administration and maintenance of the Human Resources files, both physical and digital.
NOTE: The duties listed are not set forth for the purpose of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally performed outside of the listed duties above.
- University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, Labour Relations or related discipline.
- Minimum 3 year’s generalist Human Resources experience
- Professional designation such as CHRP or CHRL preferred
- Experience in municipal and/or unionized environments is an asset
- Candidate must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Human Resources Best Practices
- Knowledge and experience in Labour Relations
- Knowledge of Federal and Provincial Human Rights and Employment Standards
- Knowledge of Canadian payroll processing requirements
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of office technology including a variety office software
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The ability to work both independently with minimal supervision as well as in both large and small team environments
- The ability to work with a high degree of confidentiality and integrity
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully navigate sensitive and stressful discussions and situations
- Normal office environment conditions apply with considerable use of computers and time spent in meetings.
- Primarily weekday business hours with irregular evenings and weekends, in order to accommodate business needs
- Tactfully and respectfully handling of information of a confidential nature. A high degree of professional confidentiality is required.
- Ability to conduct presentations to employees, management group, council or other stakeholders as required.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Lifting or moving up to 20 lbs may be required.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. The City of Estevan offers a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package.
For further information or to apply, please contact:
Sheryl March, Human Resources
Estevan, SK S4A 0W7
Ph: (306) 634-1841
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.