Manufacturing plays a key role in Saskatchewan, making up 7% of the provincial GDP. In 2016, manufacturing shipments totaled $14.3 billion.
Saskatchewan manufacturers have achieved many world firsts – in everything from satellite communications technology and dryland farming equipment to in-road scales for the trucking industry.
Key manufacturing clusters include:
- Machinery, transportation and industrial equipment;
- Food, crop and beverage processing;
- Wood, steel and plastic products; and
- Chemical manufacturing.
Emerging clusters include:
- Aerospace and defence;
- Specialty automotive products, UAVs; and
- Electronics and instrumentation.
Estevan’s location on the North-South trade corridor (Central North American Trade Corridor) creates tremendous investment opportunities which will benefit from the transportation corridor and the use of Automated vehicles for example.